Thursday 8 October 2015

The SECOND time I decided trousers weren't for me

Hi everyone,

So yesterday was the second time this week that I've been pantsless in public.

Yesterday afternoon I was thinking about squeezing in a short run after work and before SES training.  I was walking out to my car when my pager started with that two-tone shriek it uses for a Priority One job.  The message said there'd been a road accident and a person trapped.  I was just about at my car and so I got in and drove straight to the LHQ.

For the first time ever, I was the first one there and opened up the doors.  I didn't want to try a rescue wearing my suit trousers under my overalls, and so I decided to whip them off and just have my boxers under the overalls instead.  Sounds good, right?  It was at this point that two of my fellow volunteers rolled up.  I must say, I probably looked a little bizarre wearing my safety boots, boxers and office shirt - from them I think I saw the faintest flicker of raised eyebrows.

We needed to wait for two Road Rescue accredited members to arrive before the truck could roll - they were there quick too but had had further to come.  I can tell you the adrenaline was pumping!


As we were on the way a message came through that the person was no longer trapped - I suppose they self-extricated.  Nevertheless we decided to continue to provide traffic control and any other help that may have been needed.


When we got there the CFA and police were already on scene, and so there wasn't actually anything we needed to do.  It was still worthwhile being there, if only to have the chance to interact with the attending police and firies.


The other positive to come out of it was that out unit had a very strong response.  Five people in the truck, three in the Patrol and two were on their way in their own cars.  So, ten people mobilized in about 15 minutes.  It's great that we can respond well for urgent jobs.  Best feeling ever.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment